Osmotherley is a small but perfectly formed village on the western edge of the North York Moors National Park. Surrounded by moors and pastureland it’s the perfect base for exploring the Hambleton and Cleveland Hills.
Smugglers were once known to frequent the village, as they crossed the moors with contraband from the coast. Today’s visitors however, are tourists, walkers and cyclists. Osmotherley is the starting point of the Lyke Wake Walk, covering 42 miles across moorland to Ravenscar. The Cleveland Way National Trail also runs through the village, as does the Sustrans White Rose cycle route, while Wainwright’s famous Coast to Coast walk passes close by.
John Wesley preached from the barter table in the centre of the village, and the world’s oldest Methodist Chapel, built in 1754, can be found in Chapel Yard. St Peter’s Church is built on an earlier Saxon site, with parts of the building dating from the Norman period.
The village has an ingeniously well stocked newsagent/grocery shop – There is also an outdoor shop, a cafe and a traditional fish and chip shop.